Documentary storytelling is flourishing like never before – encompassing reportage, memoir, history, humor and more. DOC NYC celebrates this cultural phenomenon and encourages its new directions.
MISSION STATEMENT Among its missions, DOC NYC aims to:
- CURATE: guide audiences toward inspiring work.
- CROSS FERTILIZE: gather practitioners of many fields – filmmakers, writers, photographers and other storytellers to inspire each other.
- CROSS GENERATIONS: use the festival’s partnership with School of Visual Arts as a means for younger and older voices to communicate.
- CULTIVATE NEW AUDIENCES: attract newcomers with the excitement of a festival atmosphere.
- EXPAND DISTRIBUTION: help documentary storytellers make the most of emerging technologies such as video downloads, podcasts and electronic readers.
- CREATE SOCIAL SPACE: bring people together in theaters, lounges, and discussion spaces in Greenwich Village and Chelsea.
- MAKE THE MOST OF NYC: foster fresh connections between residents and expose visitors to the opportunities that happen only in New York.